As Workshop Manager, you’ll contribute to the successful delivery of projects across the fields of marketing, events, festivals, and the arts. You will be managing a busy workshop with in-house fabrication facilities including CNC, laser and vinyl cutting, 3D printing, carpentry, metalwork, and textiles.
You’ll work with the Fabrication Team on the production of sets, sculptures, props, branding, and other items and liaise with the Production and Site teams to oversee production and ensure deadlines are met, quality is ensured, and the clients' aims are realised in a safe and efficient manner.
You’ll oversee a team of multi-discipline and specialist fabricators, carpenters, and metalworkers, quantity survey materials, and ensure a good workflow so deadlines are met. You’ll be responsible for organising and stocking the workshop materials, tools, equipment, props, and managing any hired or purchased items for jobs.
Your days will be varied—every project is different—and you will have the opportunity to work hands-on on fabrication projects.
This role involves creating opportunities for young people and working towards increased sustainability and diversity, and would suit someone with genuine interest in contributing to positive change.
- Ensuring the efficient running of a busy workshop
- Supervision and training of staff and freelancers
- Running, monitoring, and maintaining 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC and other workshop machinery
- Directing future equipment purchases
- Identifying cost saving measures and new revenue streams utilising the equipment
- Fabrication, including carpentry, sculpture, scenic painting, textiles, and polycarve
- Client and visitor liaison, including supervision of test builds
- Maintaining H&S and COSHH
- Quantity surveying, stock purchase and control, goods inwards management
- Waste and recycling management
- Liaison with Production, Fabrication, and Design teams
- Supervising loading and unloading of vehicles
- Build/production scheduling in collaboration with the Site and Installations Manager and Production teams
- Management of contractors/freelancers in the workshop and at their own sites
- Budget control
- 5+ years' experience working in a fabrication environment
- Previous experience of managing a team
- A can-do, problem-solving attitude
- Good communicator
- Strong team leader
- Highly organised and adaptable
- Experience interpreting build drawings
- Ability to schedule for and work to tight, hard deadlines
- Experience working with wide range of fabricators and contractors
- Experience working on builds with multiple elements/materials
- Understanding of brand guidelines and the needs of corporate clients
- Experience working with 3D print, CNC, laser, vinyl plotter machines and processes, including programming, tool selection, and materials selection
- Interest in inclusivity and accessibility in the creative and fabrication industries
- Interest in sustainability
- Interest in popular culture, film, art, music and events
- Some knowledge of HR, time sheets/hours/invoices management
- Clean driving license
- CAD skills
This position may involve some weekend and evening working, for which time off in lieu will be offered. 39 day holiday allowance per year.
Email covering letter, CV, and any portfolio showing fabrication projects applicable to email@example.com.