We’re looking for a Project Manager to join the Storythings team to support us in managing client projects. This is a new role for the company and has been created to support us in a particularly exciting period of growth. Because of this growth and because we’re a small team, the role offers someone a real opportunity to help shape how we run projects. We want someone who understands creative processes and how to support creative teams to deliver their best work to clients.
Hours: Full Time. At least two days a week in the central Brighton office (ideally Monday and Wednesday). The remaining hours can be from the office or from home.
You’ll be working across the non-profit, creative and commercial sectors, managing a varied portfolio. Recent and ongoing clients, both UK and global, include The Rockefeller Foundation, PBS, ADP, the Museum of London, the Shakespeare Folger Library and BBC Sounds. Work could include project managing a digital publication about pay and people around the world; a podcast production; a content strategy consultancy commission for a global nonprofit; content production for a major UK arts institution.
The role is part of the Operations and Production team at Storythings. You will report to and work closely with the Head of Production to maintain an overview of all our projects, making sure we’re monitoring budgets and schedules effectively, identifying resource bottlenecks ahead of time and generally ensuring each project is a success for us and our clients. You will be client-facing, so will understand the importance of clear communication, and keeping client objectives and goals in mind throughout the delivery of their project. You will also contribute to pitches as our pipeline continues to grow, looking at the creative teams and budgets we need in place to deliver our best possible work.
- Supporting project owners and the Head of Production in managing specific client projects.
- Day-to-day project liaison with clients.
- Supporting project owners in maintaining an excellent relationship with the client, attending all client meetings, running weekly client catch ups and internal project delivery status meetings including scrums.
- Managing project budgets and reporting including status reports.
- Working with the Head of Production to ensure all projects are fully resourced including core Storythings team and freelancers.
- Project communications including generating statements of work, set up of platforms and tools and ensuring the team is fully briefed on project objectives, task lists and milestones.
- Identifying and managing risk including scope creep.
- Monitoring the time spent on projects, deadlines, and keeping projects on track including ensuring quality control processes are followed.
- Liaising with the operations team to ensure all contractual requirements are met (including 3rd party licences, clearance and freelance contacts).
- Contributing to tender processes, pitches and proposals.
Experience and skills
- Proven track record of working in a project management role and managing client projects – whether this is at a creative or digital agency managing design, film, animation or editorial projects, production company or similar.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be able to demonstrate experience of seeing projects through end-to-end – from involvement in pitching and scoping to production and final release.
- Ability to manage cross-functional teams to ensure they deliver to budget and on time.
- Proven experience of managing budgets and budget control, from keeping track of expenditure, timesheets, restructuring budgets, and being able to flag and communicate when budgets are on or off track.
- Exceptional client-facing communication skills.
- Confident working with a range of people across a project, from clients to freelancers to suppliers.
- Comfortable presenting to clients and running meetings, building the relationship and maintaining their confidence in us to deliver.
- Comfortable managing feedback processes between clients and delivery teams.
- Comfortable flagging and keeping on top of project risk and scope creep.
- Strong planning, financial and organisational skills.
- Working knowledge of Slack, Trello, Dropbox and Google Suite.
Contact details and how to apply
Please send us your CV detailing your working experience so far, and a cover letter telling us about you and why you’d like to work with us to email@example.com by 13th October 5pm.
We will acknowledge receipt of your email and be in touch directly to talk further if we feel your skills and experience are right for us. This will be through Zoom or similar.
Please note we’re not interested in working with agencies or recruiters.
What we offer
- Flexible and hybrid working.
- Two weeks additional holiday over the Christmas period.
- A healthcare cash-back plan on a range of treatments including dental, optician and therapies.
- Six months full pay maternity leave.
- Four weeks full pay secondary parent leave.
- Day off for your birthday.
- Up to 26 paid volunteering hours per year.
- Annual training, development and conference budget.
Storythings is a strategy and content company with a simple mission: We help good people tell important stories in ways that get attention. We’re deep thinkers and multi-disciplinary storytellers – we make films, podcasts, animation, illustration. We obsess over formats and story structure. We’re fascinated by attention and behaviours. We believe in turning comms into culture. Our team of strategists and makers have cabinets filled with BAFTAs, Emmys and Webbys. We work with a global network of talent located across India, Latin America, Europe and the USA.
We’re a company that’s serious about its commitment to diversity and inclusion, and the responsibility of being an ally to under-represented minorities. We represent diverse people in our projects, and always look to hire people and talent from a wide variety of backgrounds across race (particularly Black communities), age, gender, ethnicity and social class. We believe that by creating an honest, bias-free and open work environment for all of our employees and freelance talent, we’ll build happier, stronger and more productive teams.